Thursday, December 27, 2007

Books, My Best Friends...

Questions. I am often asking questions to myself.

Questions that bother me and torment me till I find an answer. The kind of questions that may not have an easy answer. And I often do not hope to find the answer.

But amazingly,everytime I do end up getting the answer. And it’s a beautiful feeling when that happens. That moment of enlightenment, when what was foggy suddenly becomes crystal clear.

So everytime I set out in search, I find what I set out for. And the answer doesn’t come from somebody wise or elder. The answer doesnt come from somebody a friend.

I find the answers to the questions in my mind in, … the books that I read. And I almost always chance upon them when I least expect to. Flipping though a random book and suddenly I am staring at the answer to my Question. Right there on those pages. Random pages from a random book.

And it seems to work everytime! So heres what I do whenever something nags me. I pickup a book from my shelf, and turn to a random page and start reading through.

And I invariably find words of wisdom. Words of comfort. That help me and soothe me. And give me courage. As if they know whats going on in my life. And they are trying to help me. Just like a friend would do.

It’s like in this movie, “Next Stop Wonderland”, where the heroine has this book gifted to her by her dad and she often picks a page at random and just picks a random word on that page. And that word almost always symbolises whats going to happen next in her life!

And I feel blessed. Lucky. That my advisor, my pal to turn to in doubt, are these books, written by the great authors.

May be each one of us has someone elder, or a close friend, to whom we turn to in distress. But for me, I find my comfort and solace in these books.

But i then ask myself, what is this miracle? How can these books be my guide? How can they know what I am searching for.

And I realise may be this is the way You speak to me. And this is the most wonderful. Nothing more beautiful. Nothing at all.

2 comments:

Dewdrop said...

I should say thts quite a wonderful way of finding answers to questions. I myself will try it out next time :)

Btw, nice to see u blogging again.

Aroj said...

@dewdrop:

Lines from the movie, Next Stop Wonderland...


Bookseller: [after Erin Castleton has dropped the book] : Don't close it. You should never close a book until you've read something from it.
Erin Castleton: What?
Bookseller: Well, just a sentence or a word. It can be very, very revealing. Just read something, anything. Well, read from the top, then.

Erin Castleton: [reading/quoting William Wordsworth, "The Prelude"] "When from our better selves we have too long Been parted by the hurrying world, and droop, Sick of its business, of its pleasures tired, How gracious, how benign, is Solitude."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119778/