Saturday, December 29, 2007

Romance : Before Sunrise, Before Sunset

“Before Sunrise”, and “Before Sunset”. Two fantastic movies. With the sequel even better than the original. Just the kind of movie that I needed to see.

And that too on my birthday. A perfect treat on my birthday. And it ended up teaching me a very important lesson. Something had been missing in my life since some time. Something which was making my life kinda drag.

And that was the Romance.

As any true romantic would tell you, romance need not be limited to love alone. Though love is what inspires the greatest of romances.

Simply walking in the rain, as the drops hit you pitter patter, feeling the chill in the air, and smiling to yourself as you wonder aloud at the beauty in that moment.

The wide open starry sky on a cloudless moonless silent night. What a sight it is to behold. The kind of night where you just wanna gaze right into those little blue dots. And you cant help wondering, that it is God who is the greatest of all artists.

That’s kind of romance that had gone out of my life. There is so much beauty in this world. Yet we let our lives fall into such a routine. How often we fail to notice that which is beautiful.

If only we would pause and look around to see and feel the kind of things ... the kind of things that make us feel like children all over again.

And so the movie, it’s beautifully romantic. How they keep talking so freely and passionately. A talk filled with intellect and humour. It seems that most of the shots were long takes, so as to make them look more natural. And the cinematography, specially in “Before Sunset”, was absolutely beautiful. The most memorable being the boat ride over the river in Paris. Boy it just took my breath away.

I guess I am a bit of a romantic at heart. And I believe there is Magic and Mystery in this world.

And I pray to God that I never ever lose the ability to look at the world with romance tinted eyes.

Unfortunately sometimes it feels like living in a foolish world. Romantics often lose themselves so much in their own world that they forget the practicalities of the world. I mean walking in the rain maybe romantic, but also very likely to bring you down with cold!

So then the question is should i not walk in the rain. Should i choose practicality over romance.

Nah. I dont think I am made that way. I think i will just get wet.


PS:

And I really feel happy when I see someone like me out there. Someone who can see and feel the magic in the things that seem ordinary to others. Someone who is a poet at heart.

Read the blog of such a person today. Was swept away into that world. Thats the beauty of good writing. The kind that makes you feel as if you are right there experiencing the moment as the writer.

7 comments:

Dewdrop said...

First of all, I have watched 'Before Sunrise', but not 'Before Sunset'. Have been planning to watch it for a longtime now, but never got time. I think I should watch it rightway :)

I totally agree with the walking in rain bit. Hope u will hav many more instances to enjoy the romantic things which life offers.

Serendipity said...

Heyy! Couple of things -

Saggi's are AWESOME people. (guess who'se one herself :)

second - its its logical and practical, its not love.

Love is crazy neurotic irrational strange intoxicating logic deprived heady rush of feelings.

And yep, get wet. id prefer it too :)

will watch your space!

Serendipity!

Aroj said...

@Dewdrop: Do watch it, its different and more mature than the original..its like the director and both the actors have matured and grown better with age..and the end product, an active collaboration between the three ( they actually locked themselves in a hotel to write down the script) is really a nice cinematic experience.

Specially the ending of the movie... :-)
http://www.reverseshot.com/article/before_sunset

So do tell me how u liked it!

Aroj said...

@Serendipity:

I just cant help thinkin you must be Frankie in Dream for an Insomniac:-)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116141/

Some quotes:

Frankie: Anything less than mad, passionate, extraordinary love is a waste of your time.

David Schrader: There are too many mediocre things in life to deal with and love shouldn't be one of them.

Frankie: I don't want to be 60 years old some day and seemingly happily married to some man that I know is my second choice.

Serendipity said...

lol!! I havent seen it, but now i will :)

And yep, the lines above sound EXACTLY like somethign I would say!!

btw, whose blog are you tlaking about in the last few lines of this post? u seem impressed, would like to read it too!

Aroj said...

@serendipity:

See
http://dewdrop-world.blogspot.com/2007/07/her-eyes-view.html

http://dewdrop-world.blogspot.com/2006/12/120-seconds.html

http://dewdrop-world.blogspot.com/2006/12/sand-houses.html

Anonymous said...

havent seen any of the movies :-(
but ur place sounds interesting !!
will come for more :-)