Monday, April 9, 2007

Passion vs Reason

What do you choose? Between passion and reason.

Why I ask this question? Let me explain.

Saturday morning.

I have an argument with my dad. Regarding the new stereo system that we were planning to buy. Well, my dad really loves his music and wanted to buy this really expensive hi-fi 5.1 channel DVD system.

And me, who's used to ending up at the nearest multiplex at the drop of a hat, was like who will ever watch a DVD/movie at home?!

So I argued that we should instead go for a nice stereo system that will be cheaper and drop the plans for an expensive DVD system.

I stopped arguing when I saw a little hurt in his eyes. So I finally agreed, but was not convinced at this 'waste of money' as I saw it.


Sunday afternoon.

The brand new sleek and sexy box arrives at our home. And am blown away just by the looks! And then we play a DVD movie. It's a song I have heard many times before.

And I am totally blown off by the sound I hear. Crystal clear and distortion free. Loud but no noise.

I couldn’t help wondering this was a song that I had heard so many times before and yet here I was hearing sounds that I had never heard before! It was an exhilarating experience!


Today one of the reasons I rush home every weekend is just to lie down in front of my music system and hear my favourite songs. I can even play the mp3 collection on my laptop through this!

It's amazing the kind of joy this has brought me. And I am thankful to dad for not giving in to my reasoning.

So that's it. What your passion says may not always seem logical, but the amount of happiness that it can bring to you, is unimaginable.

Never again will I let my passion be subdued by reason.

Because what I may gain, is a hell lot more than what I may lose.

So follow your passion, wherever it may take you.

There’s no other secret to happiness.

7 comments:

Deepa said...

I hav known u to be a guy of passion...
reason or logic comes after you have decided wat u wanna do...
think of the last logical decision that u may have taken...i am sure...u would have taken a decision even before u saw the logic and then proved to urself with the logic that u created later....i am not saying that its always true.....but it mostlty is....

Aroj said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aroj said...

Following your passion is a difficult thing to do, specially when you dont want to leave your comfort zone...its easier to just stay there living life as it comes...

Of late have been like that now..thing is you think u r happy, but actually u r not ... its like a slow death from within...

Enough is enough...And am about to do something different and big now! :-) Under wraps for now... :-)

rhn said...

I can't agree more. There are times when you feel from inside that "THIS" is what I want, and that happens when you intuitively know about it.

Logic comes into play when you are choosing best from the OK's or 'worsts'. Passion is when you 'know' whats the best for you.

Passion may end up giving you trouble (or so they say), but even then you are left with much of the wisdom, experience and memories which are priceless.

Logic will keep your life easy. And you would be happy, even if forever, always tasting sugar, only sugar, nothing else but sugar. You would forget about sour, bitter things, just sugar .. and sugar, and sugar ... Isn't that exciting (sarcasm intended)

Aroj said...

Yes, the few momemnts of joy is often worth the pain afterwards...

Deepa said...

hmmm...its suprising to see that u talk of pain this way,...i had heard of a different version frm u some years bak.....interesting

rhn said...

i dun see it that way aroj. its rather a few nerve recking, exciting / painful / unsure (but intuitively assuring) moments which leaves a mark in ur life, possibly with wonderful memory and / or happiness for later .