Sunday, March 16, 2008

Ego.

I love seeing patterns that come across in our daily routine life. Sometimes certain themes, things, names seem to keep crossing our paths. Almost as if Someone is trying to tell us something. Sign? Omens? I don't know...or may be just me being conscious of that thing...

Last weekend,it's been, the Human Ego, in some form or the other that I had been noticing.

The ego of the passenger who couldn't take it that the bus conductor had asked him to show him his ticket. Why do you want me to show my ticket! I had just taken the ticket a while back. What do you think?

The ego of the bus conductor who couldn't take a passenger screaming at him in front of others.

And pointlessly they fought over something so trivial.

The ego of the teacher who couldnt take it when a student walked upto her and told her the truth that she is not teaching well enough. And how she retaliated by always picking on that poor student everytime thereafter.

The ego of the professors who arrogantly proclaim that the viva marks of the students are in their hands and so they better behave!

My own ego when my friends made fun of me.

I was hurt by what they said, harmless fun to them, but something that I felt very bad about.

But now when I think of it, my sense of worth, of who I am, cannot be changed by what someone else says.

Who I am, is defined by what I feel within.

If we feel that way, we will not be at mercy of the world and
our egoes will not be so brittle as to be burst by any Tom,Dick or Harry.

Let me end with another story about ego. Again something that came up last weekend when I was watching Terminal. There's this scene, where Catherine tells Tom Hanks about Napolean. Napoleans ego actually prevented him from dieing. He so believed in his superhuman powers that to kill himself he took six times the dosage for the poison. But his body totally rejected the overdose and he didnt die.

Not sure if this story is true, but...

3 comments:

Devil Mood said...

Oh that happens to me frequently as well. Lately it's been someone's name showing up everywhere I look. I always tell myself not to get carried away by these 'signs' but it's fun anyway..

That Napoleon story looks like a myth (not sure) but myths always have a purpose, so it doesn't matter if it's true or not.

Aroj said...

Apparently its true,

http://www.nationalreview.com/pryce-jones/prycejones200506240805.asp

Cornered at last in his Fontainebleau palace, Napoleon tried to commit suicide by swallowing a mixture of opium, belladonna, and hellebore, but the poison only made him retch..

After all Steven Spielberg wudnt have got his facts wrong....

Devil Mood said...

Oh, ok, that makes sense!