Sunday, March 16, 2008

The poem that started it all....

Have been reading poems since school. But back then it was because they were part of the syllabus. Never connected with them. Poems were all about identifying a mixture of different figures of speech that were being taught in the grammar classes. Never found the beauty that lay in them.

Today its different. I absolutely love the world of poems. I don't know exactly when all this started, but I think the below poem was the starting point...

This is from the movie, In Her Shoes. Cameron Diaz, who was dyslexic, and had lots of differences with her sister throughout the movie, overcomes her disability, and shows her love for her sister by reading this poem by E.E. Cummings.

Something about the way she read it, and the poem itself, inspired a great interest in me in poetry. How a few words can convey so much emotion, so beautifully.

Now I enjoy being in the world of poems. Am always on the lookout for more poems and once in a while, when I am feeling really inspired, I write one too.

This one's an absolute must see.

And heres the ending lines, which are my favourite,

Here is the deepest secret nobody knows
Here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;
which grows higher than soul can hope or mind can hide
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart.

I carry your heart (i carry it in my heart).

1 comment:

Dewdrop said...

I hadn't ventured into the world of poems yet. But after reading ur post, i felt like reading one or two poems. And ofcourse, i have to watch that movie. :)