Saturday, March 15, 2008

So, Why Do I Write?

Am not sure if I am a good writer or not, but one of the primary reasons I write, is because I like to think. I like to think of the posibilities out there in the world. I like to think about the reasons that exist in this world. I like to think of what could have happened. And why did it happen in the first place.

Are our lives predestined? Or is it all random. I am always trying to understand myself. Why is it that I like certain things and hate the others. Why do I react in certain ways to certain things.

It's like as if I am my own psychologist. I would have been a psychologist for sure, if not an engineer. Though understanding the human mind is infinitely more complex than understanding computers.

And then there are these books and movies, which set me thinking again. And I can't help but express them. Because till I do that, these thoughts seem to be abstract things floating around in my head. Almost knocking hard, to be let out.

And so I write.

My first inspiration to write came from Paulo Coelho's novel "By the River Piedra I Sat Down And Wept." Towards the end of the novel, when the heroine is sitting by the river crying over her lost love, an old woman asks her to write down her feelings. As you pour your sorrow into words, your sadness will subside.

Well, I too was at that time somewhat in sorrow. And intrigued by this advice, I tried writing about my feelings. And I still remember that day. I started of sad, but by the time I finished writing, I was much better. The sadness had been replaced by peace. I was happy I had expressed my feelings.

Later on ofcourse I realised that I do enjoy writing. But what I derive most value from, is the how good it feels to let my thoughts out. And how, inevitably they are more clearer after having been expressed in words.
By the time I finish, I have new insights and ideas and most importantly I have clarity.

Now I know why one blogger had her blog titled, "Because I do think".

Nowadays I have discovered that I can't sleep at night. I can't sleep till I feel fulfilled. Satisfied that I have done something. Created something. Or learnt something new.

And often it's a bit of writing that I do that kind of calms me down. It's like this immense feeling of restlessness. The day just can't end till I write something new.

I like to believe hardly anybody reads these posts. That what I write is liked by some is more like a bonus. But it does encourage me to keep on going.

When you comment on my posts, your words encourage me. They encourage me to continue writing. They encourage me to become better than before. And for that more than anything, I am grateful. Thanks friends! Thanks for reading and thanks for all the encouragement!

No comments: